No narrative to Narrative

Marjane Satrapi Suzann Pitt
Suzann Pitt
Image result for Suzan Pitt
Known for making animation that tackled depression, mortality, identity, and sexuality in honest, hopeful, and insightful ways. In 1968, she began making animated films inspired by her paintings. She largely rejects narrative confines and instead focuses on abstract imagery. Internationally-acclaimed artist. Paintings and animated films are held in private museums and collections including Museum of Modern Art (NYC), The Walker Art Center (Minneapolis), and the Ludwig Museum (Germany). Major exhibitions at the Whitney Museum of American Art, Steadlijk Museum in Amsterdam, and Venice Biennale. Deigned the first two operas to include animated images for the stage (Damnation of Faust, The Magic Flute). These films are Asparagus (1979), Joy Street (1995), El Doctor (2006), Visitation (2011), and Pinball (2013).
Image result for Suzan Pitt Pinball 2013

Marjane Satrapi
Image result for Marjane Satrapi
Iranian-born French graphic novelist, cartoonist, illustrator, film director, and children's book author. Known for exploring the gaps between the East and West, her graphiv novels Persepolis 1 (2000) and Persepolis 2 (2001) explores her life with her family in Revolutionary Tehran in the 1980s, her struggle to fit in with the Europeans she takes refuge with, and her return to Iran. She adapted her books as an animated film Persepolis in 2007. Satrapi has written other graphic novels that serve as memoirs. Broderies (2003; Embroideries) which consists of stories of her female relatives and friends lives in Iran. Poulet aux prunes (graphic novel 2004, Chicken with Plums; film 2011, live-action director) which tells the story of her great-uncle and his decision to die after he is unable to replace his lute.
Image result for Persepolis

In class I watched the film Persepolis. It was really amazing. I loved how the animation was used and also how it is colour to show that is it showing her life/memories instead of recreated a new story. I wondered if she got into some copyright trouble with the music she has listened to as a child (I don't think there would be as it is more like a documentary on her life instead of creating the music). It gave me a new way to tell a story and a better understanding of Marjane's life.

I also saw a clip of Suzan's work. I was so confused. 'What is this? This is so weird.... Ehhhh??? Boring... The images are flashing so fast. What??? Umm? So... What was the point of that?' are the questions I asked myself while watching them. I now understand that the point of watching them was to show me animation without the classic narrative.

I much prefer animation with some sort of story behind it. Otherwise it is just strange to me :)
Image result for story

Comments

Popular Posts