Colour theory in action

A classmate suggested I watch an anime call 'The Promised Neverland' where, in the first episode, colour theory is seen very clearly and sets the mood for the rest of this anime.

Also, it has a happy, fun, joyful beginning to the episode that, within a scene changes to a horrific the sad scene. I watched this episode to study how they achieved this effect, all while foreshadowing the traumatic events before they even occur.

This is a good example I should be studying about how a large animation company presented their first episode and how they used different techniques within their work. Here is what I analyzed while watching the first episode.
This is the title screen for this anime. I noticed that a burning match is used a lot in symbolism in this title screen opening. So a burning match or fire is going to be important in this anime.
Another indication that this anime will cover and have a dark story is in the lighting effect next.
From light, bright sky's
To a dark, foreshadowing sky. The three main protagonists have a once bright and happy path ahead of them, to a dark, scary and unknown future in front of them.

Next in the opening sequence, there is this image.
The only bright colours are the characters point of uniqueness, their hair and eyes. Everything else about this image is plain and looks like a mug shot. This is due to the plain uniforms everyone is wearing and the background behind the characters being basic lines, similar to what is used in mug shots of criminals. This indicates that the characters are possibly being held captive like criminals.

Comments

Popular Posts